New York Public Service Commission Sets New Energy Efficiency Goals
On January 16, 2020, the New York Public Service Commission approved among the most ambitious set of energy efficiency and electric heat pump targets in the nation to combat climate change. The PSC announced its Order in CASE 18-M-0084 – which will help drive NY state policy and programs through 2025 by:
- Re-authorizing funding to support “existing levels” of utility energy efficiency activities for 2021-2025, which will total $1.3 billion.
- Approving additional funding of $2 billion towards energy efficiency and building electrification initiatives.
- These investments are expected to provide $13 billion in consumer savings on utility bills over the life of the program – 2020 to 2025
- The Order’s targets, combined with other State initiatives, will result in a 3% reduction in annual electric usage and a 1.3% reduction in annual gas usage by 2025.
Many of the details of the Order’s implementation are still being developed jointly by NYSERDA and New York’s Utilities. A good amount of activity will happen in the next two to four months:
- Joint Utility/NYSERDA Low-to-Moderate Income Implementation Plans are due in 120 days with three regional meetings for additional stakeholder input prior to filing.
- Joint Utility/NYSERDA Heat Pump Implementation Plans are due in 60 days with the expectation of transitioning to the statewide framework on April 1, 2020. The Order ensured that no gap in Heat Pump Programs will occur in the transition.
- NYSERDA and PSC Staff will convene a Performance Management and Improvement Process within 90 days which will include opportunities for additional stakeholder and market participant engagement.
These newly detailed goals and dedicated funding sources mark a significant step forward with many implications for energy efficiency businesses and industries in New York. What the January 16, 2020 NY PSC Order means, and how it may be implemented, will be top issues for discussion at the Northeast Regional Home Performance Conference & Trade Show on February 11-12, 2020 in Saratoga Springs, New York.